ADSM-L

FW: retries

1997-08-29 22:56:12
Subject: FW: retries
From: "Barton, Pina" <pbarton AT KMART DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 22:56:12 -0400
Steve,
  Don't know if you received a response, but I recently found out how
this works because of discussions with Level 2 since we have been
experiencing problems with this process.

  ADSM will send the file to the server.  Only AFTER it has sent the
file to the server will it then go back to the client and look at the
attributes to see if they have changed since the beginning of backing up
the file.  If they have changed, then it determines the file was open
while it was backed up and will retry (if you have shared static)
immediately, i.e. it will resend the file AGAIN, and then check AGAIN.
It will repeat this process for the specified number of retries
(changingretries parm).  ADSM will NOT be backing up any files at this
time -- all other file restores wait until the processing for this file
is done.  This could mean that the file has been sent to the server up
to 4 times.  At least that was my understanding from Level 2...

  This killed us one time because we had 2 GB files we were compressing
and backing up which happened to be open during a window.  Needless to
say, it took hours to go through the retry process when finally ADSM
ended up skipping the file anyway cause it was still open.