ADSM-L

ADSM Creating a repair partition on removable media (NT 4.0)

1997-08-28 19:50:23
Subject: ADSM Creating a repair partition on removable media (NT 4.0)
From: Donald Moxley <moxley AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 19:50:23 -0400
MailSaveOptions: 2
Logo: StdNotesLtr33
Sign: 1
Encrypt: 0
DefaultMailSaveOptions: 2
FormName:
SwipeFrom: Donald Moxley/Tucson/IBM @ IBMUS
Classification:
SenderTag:
ExpandPersonalGroups: 0
ValidationTesting: 0oldfrom: CN=Donald Moxley/OU=Tucson/O=IBM
tmpAction:
$UpdatedBy: CN=Donald Moxley/OU=Tucson/O=IBM

    CN=D03NM019/OU=03/OU=M/O=IBM

    CN=D03AU036/OU=03/OU=G/O=IBM

>I am trying to get the procedure working which is described in the IBM
READBOOKS.
> "WINDOWS NT RECOVERY WITH ADSM". They explain in detail how to configure
> a repair partition on a IOMEGA ZIP drive to get this running when the main NT
partition
> is lost. Via this repair partition the ADSM client is started and the
original partition is
> restored.  It sounds good, but I do not know how to install a NT40 system on
>100 Mbyte IOMEGA ZIP partition. The installation of NT40 aborts with the
message
>that the partition must be at least 127 MByte. The procedure in the REDBOOKS
looks
> as if somebody had really done this. Does anybody know how to handle this ??
>Heinz-Joachim Staerke
>MAX-PLANCK INSTITUTE STUTTGART
Hello, the version of the 'Bare Metal Restore' redbook you are looking at was a
work in process ('embryonic') copy that was being developed in the NT 3.51
timeframe.
As you have observed, NT 4 requires larger drive capacity, in the case of
removable
devices something like JAZ or possibly Syquest 230mb.  Another option is to
save those
old 250+mb harddrives that must be starting to collect dust and putting
emergency
systems on them, or just carve out a partition on a second drive already in the
machine.
BTW, there is a great article in ENT magazine about why you probably always
want
to have somekind of  'NT Emergency Partition' available. Check out 'Hardware is
Half
the Battle, Building for Disaster' at
 http://192.131.131.50/ent/archive/1997/may21/052121.html-ssi

Don Moxley,  IBM Storage Systems Division