ADSM-L

Cached Data and Backup Stg Pool

2015-10-04 18:06:06
Subject: Cached Data and Backup Stg Pool
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 8/22/97 2:41PM
Yes, this is expected, since you told ADSM to backup the tape pool, and not
the DASD pool.  What I do is to issue a backup command of the DASD pool, and
then follow it with a backup of the tape pool.  This gets the cached copies
of the files if they still exist on DASD, and then gets the files that have
been migrated and no longer have a cached copy.  Of course I hope to have all
of this done BEFORE migration, but every so often I have a big user who dumps
more than my pool can contain, and I get a migration prior to the backup.
This insures that all data is backed up, and it comes from the best available
source.

BTW, I view cached copies as a benefit for anyone who needs a restore of a
file that was just backed up - a large number of restores occur in this
manner (I screwed up the file - I need yesterday's copy....)  making a backup
copy is an extra "bennie" in my mind.... :-)

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    8/22/97 2:41 PM

I just noticed that although I do have caching enabled on my "primary"
storage pool on disk (MLI_TOR_BACKUP), that if I do a migration to a "copy"
pool on Tape (MLI_TOR_BKP_ONSITE) followed by a backup Storage Pool of
MLI_TOR_BKP_ONSITE to MLI_TOR_BKP_OFFSITE, even though all the data is still
present 9in cache format) on the MLI_TOR_BACKUP, the system calls for mounts
of the tapes belonginging to MLI_TOR_BKP_ONSITE!

is this expected operationn, and if so, what is the purpose of the CACHED
data?

Peter T