ADSM-L

Cross client restore question. Unix to WIN/xx. More info I m

2015-10-04 18:06:06
Subject: Cross client restore question. Unix to WIN/xx. More info I m
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 8/21/97 11:44AM
No - you can't restore Unix machines to a Windows machine.  In fact, I think
there is a limit to cross Unix restores - but I am not a Unix person, so
can't speak for sure on the subject.

The major place for cross platform restores is on the Intel Desktop arena,
where you can restore Win95, WinNT, OS/2, and Win3.1 files back and forth,
with some limits.  The limit is "does the OS in question understand the File
System being used?  For example, if you disk is FAT, then it can be restored
on any of the above platforms.  If however, it is HPFS, then it can be
restored on OS/2 and WinNT, but not Win 3.1 (which only does FAT).  Novell
(which is also Intel based) unfortunately does not allow any cross restores,
since it uses it's own internal file system (NetWare File System) that only
NetWare understands.

The same holds true for Macintosh.

There has been a lot of discussion in terms of cross platform restores - IBM
has taken the view of "if the OS understands the File SYstem, then you can
restore it, but in a Unix environment, with the different binary executables
based on the Chip, even this is limited.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    8/21/97 11:44 AM

Hello,

Sorry, forgot version numbers:

On MVS 5.2.2 running ADSM server Version 2, Release 1, Level 0.9/0.9
The client on win/xx and unix are the most up to date versions.

Can I restore a UNIX backed up file to a WINDOWS/xx machine? I've tried
a few restore commands from the windows machine but i keep getting
syntax errors.

The unix machine node name is xxxxxx the win/xx machine is yyyyyy.

From yyyyyy I start the adsm command line window. I then issue

restore -FROMNode=xxxxxx "/var/log/log.0" c:\posts

I keep getting syntax errors for the "sourcefilename". I have tried it
without quotes, with a "*" and -PICK option. Doesn't work.

I have issued a SET ACCESS command from the xxxxxx machine to allow
yyyyyy machine all access.

Thank You,
  Mark Brown, Operations Supervisor
  McGill University, Computing Centre