ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and NetWare Client

1997-08-19 18:56:18
Subject: Re: ADSM and NetWare Client
From: Trevor Foley <Trevor.Foley AT BANKERSTRUST.COM DOT AU>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:56:18 +1000
Trevor Foley@BT_AUSTRALIA
20/08/97 08:56 AM

Hi Fred,

If you have access to the 'ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager Performance
Tuning Guide Version 2 Release 1' redbook, take a look at the 'TCP/IP
Tuning Considerations' chapter and the section on Netware Clients.
Basically, if the ADSM client and server are on different subnets, the
maximum transfer unit (MTU) will be set to 536 bytes. By setting
TCPMSSINTERNETLIMIT OFF, the mtu that will be used will be the lower of the
'set maximum physical receive packet size' value (in startup.ncf for
netware 3.x and autoexec.ncf for netware 4.x) and the capacity of you
network components.

We set everything up for approx. 1540 bytes (I can't remember the exact
number but it is the ethernet limit) and we got almost 3 times the
throughput and previously. If you are using token ring for fddi, I would
guess that performance would improve even more.

So yes, if your client and server are on difference ip subnets, you should
see an increase in performance.

regards,

Trevor