ADSM-L

Re: WIN95/NT Client Install Problem

1997-08-13 20:07:12
Subject: Re: WIN95/NT Client Install Problem
From: Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf AT DESSUS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 20:07:12 -0400
Also, you might want to check in the "Internet" settings on these
machines in the Control Panel.  There is an option to allow "automatic
dialing" to "the internet" for any IP address which Win95 does not
consider to be on your "lan".

There are two solutions to this problem:

 1) turn of autodialing the internet
 2) add routes for all the networks that are connected on your lan
    (pain in the butt, and Win95 does not even RIP, far as I can tell,
     so you cannot pick it up automatically from your routers).

Of course, the proper solution is for Microsoft to always try using
the default route and only use the "auto-dial the internet" if it gets
a no-route-to-host response (but that requires more knowledge of "how
things work" than Microsoft posesses :))

While option (2) above does work somewhat, it does not ALWAYS work
(ie, you will still get intermittent internet dials).  Whatever method
is used to determine which IP addresses are on the "lan network" and
which are "internet addresses" is neither well documented nor working
very predictably.

In <199708131733.MAA27244 AT usaa DOT com>, on 08/13/97 at 12:34 PM,
   dan thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM> said:

>  It sounds as if the win95 box is attempting to resolve the
>TCPServerAddress in your options file with a remote DNS.  Look in

>I hope this is helpful, although you may have already attempted these
>things.

>Good Luck,
>  Dan T.

>----------
>> From: Allan Wade <wade AT IBM DOT NET>
>> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>> Subject: WIN95/NT Client Install Problem
>> Date: Wednesday, August 13, 1997 11:07 AM
>>
>> Has anyone installed the latest 31bit Windows client (95/NT)?
>>  I just downloaded it from  IBM. When I installed it (on Win95) the
>EXclude list
>> in DSM.OPT does not look like it is tailored for WIN95, more like NT.
>Also when
>> we try to connect to the host (MVS) via TCP/IP, my Internet Dialer fires
>up
>> instead of going to the host. Naturally we end up getting a TCPip
>communication
>> failure.
>> I don't have the latest Windows Client book. Is there some additional
>options
>> the need specified. The dialer problem has happened on 3 different Win95
>> machines.
>>

>> Thanks.  Allan

Keith Medcalf      (416) 410-5791      http://www.dessus.com/ IBM
OS/2, LAN Server, DB2/2, TCP/IP, DOS, Windows, Windows NT Finger or
email kmedcalf-pgp AT dessus DOT com for my PGP Public Key