ADSM-L

Re: Copy Storage Pool Questions

1997-08-13 05:59:19
Subject: Re: Copy Storage Pool Questions
From: Brian Johnson <smbxj01 AT OSMF.BT.CO DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 09:59:19 +0000
David Ong wrote:

> Hello ADSMers,
> I have a couple of questions regarding copy storage pools. Firstly, does
> anybody know what triggers or how to trigger reclamation for tape volumes
> in a copy storage pool? I understand that in a primary storage pool,
> reclamation occurs only for tape volumes that have status=full. However,
> for copy storage pool volumes that are created and off-sited daily, their
> status remains 'Filling'. The update volume command does not allow for
> changing the status. So is there any other way to trigger reclamation for
> these volumes?
>
> Secondly, I'd like to hear from anybody that has collocation turned on for
> their copy storage pool. Basically, I am interested in what the advantages
> are because it seems to me that collocation will result in creating lots of
> nearly empty tapes daily which must be manually handled in some fashion.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Have a nice day or whatever's left of it.
>
> David Ong
> National Semiconductor Corp.

David, The best way to manage offsited volumes is to use move data,
reclamation of offsited volumes can take forever, if you run a script to
get the current list of your copy pool tapes, in our case COPY_3590_POOL
, then sort them by valid data, you can then perform move data on them.
Its best to do a volume at a time,  or so we have found. we run this
routine between 12:00 and 16:00 each day and free several tapes daily,
I enclose a copy of our script below, it may be of some use. As you can
see from the script we check every 120 seconde to ensure that the
current move data has finished before putting the next one. I have
commented out the id and password we use with "xxxx"

Cheers,
Brian Johnson
BT Distributed Storage Management

#!/bin/ksh
#---------------------------------------------------------------#
# Daily move data - Copy pool volumes
#
#
#---------------------------------------------------------------#
#set -x
max=15
report_file=/tmp/copy_movedata.output
echo "Daily Move Data for `date`" > $report_file
dsmadmc -id=grommit -pass=wallace 'q vol stg=copy* status=Filling,Full'
|grep "COPY_3590" > /tmp/move
sleep 5
sort -f +4n /tmp/move -o /tmp/movevols

while
        read record
do
        util=$(print ${record} | awk '{FS=" "; print $5}')
        volser=$(print ${record} | awk '{FS=" "; print $1}')
        if [ "$util" -le "$max" ]
                 then
                dsmadmc -id=xxxx -pass=xxxx "move data $volser"
                echo "$volser - move data started on `date`" >>
$report_file
                rc1=1
                   sleep 120
        while [ "$rc1" != "0" ]
        do
                if [ "$rc1" != "0" ]
                then

                        sleep 180

                rc1=$(dsmadmc  \
                -id=xxxx -pass=xxxx \
                "q proc" | grep -c "Move Data")
                fi

#---------------------------------------------------------------#
# Ensure script exits at 16:00
#

hour=$(date | nawk '{FS=":"; print $1}' | nawk '{FS=" "; print $4}')
                if [ "$hour" -gt "15" ]
                then
                exit
                fi