ADSM-L

Re: Backup Strategy

1997-08-08 13:51:48
Subject: Re: Backup Strategy
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 12:51:48 -0500
If you *really* want to do this -- then consider a weekly archive run
with a 180-day retention, and set your Retain Extra Versions to six or
seven. This does mean that you could end up with a backup version over
180 days old - comething that changes quarterly, for example. This also
means that something that changes daily will be represented as six
months of the Sunday version plus the most recent Monday through Friday
versions. A lot depends on your data.

We're using Oracle databases, and we've basically informed the company
that we will *not* do historical archives of the database. We will do
historical archives of the *data*, in flat-file format, but not the
database. I currently run nightly archives, with a 21-day retention of
the databases for d/r and data error recovery. I also run nightly
backups, excluding the databases, and retain extra versions 60 days (but
only keep five versions).

Tom Kauffman
Sr. Technical Advisor
NIBCO, Inc.