ADSM-L

Re: Backup with ADSM

1997-08-08 09:35:00
Subject: Re: Backup with ADSM
From: Doug Thorneycroft <dthorneycroft AT LACSD DOT ORG>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 07:35:00 -0600
As far as I Know, the system can't be set to allert, but if run from the
backup-archive client, the GIU gives you an option to view failures.
When run from a schedule, you also have two files on the client to check
in the baclient subdirectory on the client (Suggest that you share the
ADSM directory so that you can connect to the clients from a
workstation)
1.dsmsched.log (List all files backed up, errors, and backup results)
2.dsmerror.log (List all failures and error codes)
  Note: these files can get really large, you can set a prunning option
to prevent them from filling up your disk.

The clients use a password, just don't give the password to the users.
You can also share the client with your workstation or the server. You
can access their client by running your backup-archive client selecting
"display drives for node" from the utilities menu.

To control backups from the server, you can use the backup-archive
client on your server (See above) or use either server prompted or
client poling scheduling. Either way, you set the schedules at the
server. Just look up Schedule in the documentations. (It's kind of hard
to find what you want in the printd documentation, The online books are
handy for this because you can use the search feature to find what you
want)
Hope this helps-
Doug Thorneycroft