ADSM-L

Re: AIX4.2/HSM

1997-08-05 13:47:43
Subject: Re: AIX4.2/HSM
From: "Mark J. Cecil" <mjc AT WAYLOO.TCS.TULANE DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 12:47:43 -0500

> I really question whether IBM has any committment to ADSM/HSM as a
> strategic product.
> I have owned two licenses for the HSM component since last September,
> and have never been able to use them.
>
> By the time we got ADSM installed, I found out that the AIX servers that
> were our intended ADSM clients were all running AIX 4.1.4, and there was
> no HSM support.
>
> So I waited until HSM support became available for 4.1.4.  But by the
> time that was available, we already had orders in to replace our
> stand-alone RS/6000's with an 8-node SP, which just arrived with AIX
> 4.2.
>
> And there is STILL no HSM support for AIX 4.2.

The nodes on our SP are sitting at 4.1.5, because a LOT of software is not
certified for 4.2.  So, we could take advantage of the HSM.  Maybe you could
backrev one node and use it to export HSM space...

Mark

--
============== See me at http://www.Tulane.EDU/~mjc ======================
============== See me at http://www.Tulane.EDU/~mjc ======================