ADSM-L

Binding backup client to one proc

1997-08-05 12:40:42
Subject: Binding backup client to one proc
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 09:40:42 -0700
We're running the ADSM backup client in a multiprocessor
environment (Silicon Graphics Challenge XL, IRIX 6.2, ADSM Client
2.1.0.6) and are experimenting with binding the 'dmsc' process to
a single processor at a low priority (nice level 20).
Observations (mostly using top and gr_osview) indicate that the
children forked by dsmc, primarily the trusted client, dsmtca,
are not obeying the parents nice level--we haven't determined
whether they are obeying the 'runon' command and sticking to a
single processor.

I'm wondering if anybody has attempted to do such a thing, or if
they have seen similar behavior. I'd be interested to hear from
anybody working in an SMP environment, not just on SGI.

Thanks. -- Tom

"If I could dot the 'i' in a Michigan     Thomas A. La Porte
 game and the good lord came to take me   DBA, Feature Animation
 the next day ... at least I could        DreamWorks SKG
 die happy." - Beano Cook, ESPN           <tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com>