ADSM-L

Processor upgrades and the ADSM server

1997-08-01 10:49:04
Subject: Processor upgrades and the ADSM server
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 10:49:04 -0400
We just upgraded our RS/6000 ADSM server from a model 590 to a 595.
I thought I would relate the practical matters of how such an upgrade affects
ADSM...
    Our server is little used in the morning when the upgrade occurred, so I
took no preliminary action so as to see the effects on ADSM.  The server came
up fine, but in its Activity Log were messages like "ANR9616I Invalid license
record" and "ANR8742E This server is not licensed to support the 3590 device
type".  Attempting an incremental backup in this state yields the following
client message: "ANS4312E Server media mount not possible".
    What is necessary at this point is to re-do all the REGister LICense
commands originally done for the server.  I pre-fab such installation commands
and so was ready to drop them into place.  But before you do this you should
clean out the /usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin/adsmserv.licenses file (after making a
backup copy) using a text editor, in that the REGister LICense commands will
simply append to it, leaving the old, invalid entries such that ANR9616I
message would continue to appear.
    That was all there was to it.

Richard Sims, Boston University OIT