ADSM-L

AW: restore question

1997-07-31 12:22:51
Subject: AW: restore question
From: "Bartl, Michael" <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 17:22:51 +0100
Matthias,
our solution for the problem may not help in your specific case, because
it depends on doing some extra work in advance.
We run a job on a daily basis that creates a directory listing of all
servers, that contains all absolute paths to all files.
In case of a really necessary point-in-time-restore I restore the
subdir-path into a temporary directory. Out of the dirlisting I create a
copy-batch to copy back to the original location only the files that
existed at the time, when the listing was created.

As it does not help you to know that ADSM's next version is to contain
the point-in-time feature and you did not create a list of all files on
the day they got lost, you only can try to analyse the DSMSCHED.LOG file
of the client. When it reaches back far enough (more than the retention
period for deleted files) you can extract a list of files that got
deleted before the point-in-time you want (marked as expired) and delete
them.

This procedure takes a lot of time, sometimes it consumes less "energy"
for the user to repair his area after you did restore too many files.
When ADSM stops without having restored any files, you likely forgot the
option "-inactive" and only used "-todate".

Regards
Michael
--
Michael H. Bartl, ADAC e.V. (IDL/PPO)