ADSM-L

ADSM/NetWare questions.

2015-10-04 18:06:44
Subject: ADSM/NetWare questions.
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 7/30/97 4:21PM
I couldn't pass up responding to your note when I saw that you worked for
Boston Chicken, but your area code says you are in Colorado!  :-)

To answer your questions.....

1.  (We are primarily a NetWare 3.x shop), I have not heard of any problems.
There are a few things to be careful of, specifically around owners etc.,
that have been reported.

2.  Yes

3.  Good question - again, not specifically a 4.x person, but if you are not
careful, NetWare will decompress the data, then give it to ADSM, who will
compress it again on the client - lots of wasted cycles.  My (now retired)
NetWare source once told me that you could have NetWare present compressed
data to ADSM, so that you avoided this whole hassle, but unfortunately, I did
not document it at the time.  There are some other ways to handle this as
well, they depend on your overall ADSM philosophy of compression.

4.  The biggest "gotcha" that I have seen are from restores of whole volumes
out of sequence.  In a restore that includes the Bindery in a NetWare 3.x
environment, restore the Bindery first, then the data, otherwise the rights
and permissions will be lost.  I also use the -vol option when doing a
restore as well.

Hope this is of some help

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    7/30/97 4:21 PM

--- Message Part 1.1: Text Body Part ------------------------------
--- Message Part 1.2: Text Body Part ------------------------------
Greetings all!  We are currently in the process of evaluating ADSM for
Greetings all!  We are currently in the process of evaluating ADSM for
use.  We have a Compaq ProLiant 5000 running NT 4.0 as the ADSM server
platform.  It is currently attached to an Alexandria DLT Robotic unit
with a 1.5 TB capacity.  We are looking to backup HP-UX 10, NT Server
3.51 and 4.0, OS/2 3.0, and NetWare 3.x and 4.x.

I have questions about NetWare 4.x.

1)    Any issues with NDS backup/restore?

2)    Does the ADSM backup grab trustee rights/file ownership?

3)    When using compression on 4.x volumes, is the data pulled across
the wire compressed? Or is NetWare forced to uncompress the data and
then send?

4)    Any got ya's on restores?  Any problems with restoring to a
location other than the original?

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Matthew Griffin, griffinm AT dimensional DOT com
Network Analyst, Boston Chicken, Inc.
303-216-5235

 ==> Message part  1.3 is a PCDATA file that has been sent separately.
 ==> Message part  1.3 is a PCDATA file that has been sent separately.
 ==> Document Name: vcard.vcf