ADSM-L

Re: Charging for ADSM backup services

1997-07-30 00:58:21
Subject: Re: Charging for ADSM backup services
From: "Dwight E. Cook" <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 23:58:21 -0500
Item Subject: Charging for ADSM backup services
     (there really is some good info within, please don't let my attitude
     prevent you from reading this)

     funny you should ask this, right as I'm finishing up all the automatic
     number generating for the "bean counters"

     Now Ray, where I used to be an MVS Sys Prog but now a Unixhead, I have
     to say "bummer dude"  just 'cause MVS ADSM puts its accounting records
     in the form of "SMF" records, AIX dumps them into a nice easy to read
     text based file (which provides immediate access).

     We (Amoco) are running 2 MVS ADSM servers, 4 AIX servers, and will
     have 4 more AIX servers running by the middle of next month.  Bean
     count'n wise the AIX servers are killing the MVS servers.  MVSADSM
     sucks CPU cycles, it is just about our top started task EVEN MORE THAN
     CICS!  How much does a processor for MVS cost? How much does it cost
     for the support crew? How many SYS PROG's do you have?  All our AIX
     boxes have ONE/A SINGLE (poor soul) SYS PROG and about 1/2 dozen adsm
     administrators trying to keep the clients from KILLING us with their
     "oh, we wanted to swap processors for this one machine and we didn't
     think anyone would mind us doing an adhoc archive of 400GB and then
     immediately pulling the 400GB back off to a different box and try to
     get it all done in less than a 12:00 hr time frame" ARGH!  Had one
     little RS/6000 (single processor) with only 2 3590's in a shared
     3494ATL and it peaked at 8.2 terabytes of traffic in a single month...

     Anyway... BILLING !

     What kills the ADSM servers ?
     (a) inbound traffic
     (b) outbound traffic
     (c) data stored on the server
     (d) all the above

     Yep, (d) all the above... so  recovery$=actualcost$*150% (got to turn
     a profit) then billingrate$=(recovery$/totalresourcesused)*110% (slip
     in even more profit) leading to due$=clientsusedresources*billingrate$
     and then amoritize it, glamorize it, chastize it,  multiplize it by
     115% AND COLLECTIZE IT!

     OK, I'll get back to the subject... (and you'all just thought GOD
     answered your prayers & I had died ;-) )

     So each ADSM server (AIX or MVS) has a daily admin event scheduled for
     00:05 to run an "audit license" which updates the information for a
     "query auditocc".  From a single AIX box at 00:10ish I have a cron job
     kick off that does:
     #!/bin/ksh
     /home/dsmadmin/bin/qdlyaocc adsmsrv01
     /home/dsmadmin/bin/qdlyaocc adsmsrv02
     /home/dsmadmin/bin/qdlyaocc adsmsrv03
     /home/dsmadmin/bin/qdlyaocc adsmsrv04
     /home/dsmadmin/bin/qdlyaocc adsmsrv05
     /home/dsmadmin/bin/qdlyaocc adsmsrv06
     /home/dsmadmin/bin/qdlyaocc adsmsrv07
     exit

     #!/bin/ksh
     # /home/dsmadmin/bin/qdlyaocc
     # generates billing info, part 1 of 2
     OUTFILE=/home/dsmadmin/auditocc/nodeocc.$(date +%b%y)
     dsmadmc -serv=$1 -id=operator -pass=operator q auditocc | egrep -v
     '(^ANS51|^ADSTAR|^Command|^\(C|^License|^Node)' | grep ^[A-Z] |&
     read -p LINEIN
     while [ $? -eq 0 ] ; do
        echo $(date +%D) $1 $LINEIN >> $OUTFILE
        read -p LINEIN
     done
     exit

     so now I have a nice neat SINGLE file, in a SINGLE/CENTRAL/EASY TO
     ACCESS LOCATION with daily records which are (1) date stamped (2)
     indicate what server it is coming from (3) indicates what client it is
     for (4) backup storage used (MB)  (5) archive storage used (MB)  (6)
     total storage used (MB)
     Any and every bean counters wildest desires!
     Naturally if the data is on the server is had to get there but this
     provides no indication of how much they pull off, which can kill a
     server also... so (this is where I dislike our MVS servers) each AIX
     box, monthly, sucks out the accounting records for the previous month,
     cuts daily total records by client of archincnt archinMB archoutcnt
     archoutMB bkupincnt bkupinMB bkupoutcnt bkupoutMB totalxmitMB.  Bean
     counters will faint over these numbers... Take these numbers,
     processor utilization numbers, calculus, voodoo magic, and stats and
     you can assign "weights" to each activity/condition    you'll find
     archives are easier on the server 'cause there's no "version"
     calculations, tons of GB in a few files is WAY easier than a bazillion
     little files who's data occupies less space in ADSM than the DB
     records keeping track of client, path, filename, owner, permissions,
     etc....

     So I guess what I'm really trying to say is billing should take into
     consideration two things (1) how much tape space are they using (2)
     how much other resources (that get tossed together in one big slush
     pool... ie CPU cycles in DB updates, network load, temporary diskpool
     load, using of tape drives for restores when you need them to migrate
     off the diskpool, and on and on and on...)

     This is, I feel, real fair 'cause if a client wishes to utilize their
     own CPU to perform compression, the transmitted bytes reflect the
     COMPRESSED data, the occupied space on the server reflects the
     COMPRESSED data... but then there are the folks who want the speedie
     backups and send us 500GB's which shows 500GB transmitted, which shows
     500GB's stored, and compress down to a couple 3590 tapes...
     (20-physical GB's)  but a few have caught on and send us 10GB, we
     store 10GB and it is actually 150GB of their file space.

     So I hope this does you some good... as far as how the weights against
     activities go, I'm clueless.  I just provide them with the base
     numbers.

     later
         Dwight

     DISCLAIMER: the attitudes & beliefs reflected above are those of
     Dwight Cook alone and don't necessarily reflect those of his employer
     which would never refer to their accountants as "bean counters".