ADSM-L

Re: DLT7000 drives with ADSM

1997-07-28 10:51:09
Subject: Re: DLT7000 drives with ADSM
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 10:51:09 -0400
On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Alexander, Robert wrote:
> Steven,
>
> We two have been using BreeceHill libraries- ours are Q47's with DLT4000
> drives and have been having much of the same problems from the sound of
> what you have related... I wonder if the problem is the drive itself
> (either DLT4000-7000) or if it is the library product itself. I would be
> very interested in hearing about people who use either product, Q7's or
> Q47's without problems...
>
> We have replaced the libraries' system boards, drives, cables, connector
> boards, and yes, power supplies. Eventually, we have had to have
> multiple replacement libraries shipped to alleviate the problems. I am
> not sure who or what to point the finger at, the units perform well when
> they work, but we have had a ton of reliability problems. Our systems
> are HP9000's-- the server unit is a T520, our clients are T500's and
> other 800 series units.  I have been using DLT units with other systems
> for years and have had nothing but relatively high performance and
> reliability.  Kind of makes you wonder...

I have three other libraries, DLT4700's, with 4000's in them.  The 4700
are single drive, 7 tape units.  They have been somewhat unreliable, but
then the software driving them in unreliable too.  We are replacing that
setup with the Q7's and ADSM (maybe ;-) ).  I have never bothered to debug
the 4700's, as we are getting rid of both the hardware and software.

I received a private response to mine where the library was an STK 9710
with 3 DLT7000's.  This person nearly described my problems exactly.  I
think the problems are the drives.  Perhaps someone at Cornell could
comment.  I think they have had a Q47 with DLT4000's for quite some time.

Robert, who have you been in contact with about this?  BreeceHill,
Quantum?, IBM?

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,