ADSM-L

Remote Restore on Sybase Datatools. -Reply

1997-07-23 10:40:25
Subject: Remote Restore on Sybase Datatools. -Reply
From: David Wilshire <DWILSHIR AT LENSCRAFTERS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 10:40:25 -0400
We do this all the time, restoring the backup from a production
machine to a test machine.  Assuming you have the target
volumes already created:

1.  Change to the directory pointed to by the DSMI_DIR
environment variable (ie. /sqlbacktrack/obsi.adsm/dsm)
2.  Copy your dsm.sys file to dsm.sys.orig to save the original.
3.  Modify or add the following stanzas to dsm.sys:
     PASSWORDACCESS=PROMPT
     NODENAME=source_host
     where: "source_host" is the name of the system from whose
database you are restoring.
4.  Copy your control files from the source machine to the target
machine.  DON'T overwrite your files on the target machine.
Create a separate directory (ie. /sybrecover/source_host/....).
5.  Modify the .dtoptions in the control files directory you just
created and ensure that the "filespace=" stanza points to the
backup filespace on the source machine.  Verify also that the
backup_pool also matches the backup pool matches the backup
pool definition in the specific databases.
6.  Run your dtsrecover using the control files you copied over
from the source machine.  You will be prompted for password.  If
you don't know it, you will have to change it on the ADSM server.
7.  When finished, copy your dsm.sys.orig back to dsm.sys.

We maintain  /sybrecovery sub-directories and dsm.sys files for
each host we restore on the test system.

DataTools Tech support also has documentation that they would
be happy to provide you.

Hope this helps.
David Wilshire, Systems Administrator
LensCrafters, Inc.
dwilshir AT lenscrafters DOT com
"Knowledge Is Support"
>>> Mekgwe Brenda Datavia <BrendaM AT TRANSNET.CO DOT ZA>
07/22/97 09:48am >>>
Hi ADSMers!

Am running SQL-Backtrack for Sybase 3.1.1 with ADSM Module.
I want to restore a database from one server to another. Both
these
boxes are loaded SQL-Backtrack and ADSM.

The manual we have doesn't have the procedures for restoring
one
database to another machine so what I need to know is

what procedures must be done, to get it right, or what commands
must be
applied for the restore.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Brenda