ADSM-L

ADSM and Netware Questions

1997-07-21 17:49:13
Subject: ADSM and Netware Questions
From: Eric LEWIS <Eric.Lewis AT CCMAIL.ADP.WISC DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 16:49:13 CDT
     These are the Ts and Cs we plan to update our Netware contracts with.
     I hope this helps.

     erl

2. Patch the NetWare operating system

If necessary, apply the required patches and updates to the file server. Read
carefully the entire readme file (READ.ME) included with the ADSM client so that
you are aware of the LIMITATIONS and KNOWN PROBLEMS that may affect the
installation of ADSM on your file server.  Below is an excerpt from the ADSM
readme file that summarizes the major requirements:

The PATCHES subdirectory (in the directory in which you unzipped the downloaded
adsm file) contains a group of patches that are generally available from Novell.
The patches are for NetWare NLMs which are associated with the execution of
ADSM.
The patches are self-extracting .zip files which include information about
installation.

ADSM currently ships the following Novell NetWare patches:

LIBUP9.EXE - CLIB Server Library Update
STRTL5.EXE - STREAMS, TLI, SPXS, IPXS NLM Update
TCP31A.EXE - TCPIP 2.75 Suite Update

These patches are exact copies of the patches found on NetWare; IBM has not made
changes to these files. IBM recommends that ADSM users keep these packages
current.

Note:    TSANDS, TSA311, TSA312, TSA410, and SMDR modules shipped as part of the
ADSM client install have been extracted from the SMSUP5.EXE patch from Novell.
It is recommended that the SMS modules be maintained at this level. These
modules can be applied by selecting the "Install SMS Modules" option from the
INSTDSM.NLM program.

       For NetWare 4.11, do NOT install the SMS modules shipped with this
PTF.  The modules SMDR.NLM, TSA410.NLM and TSANDS.NLM shipped   with the 4.11 OS
should be used.  Do not try to install the SMS modules
                       with the INSTDSM.NLM utility.  Furthermore, NetWare 4.11
users must
                       upgrade to TSANDS.NLM v4.14 (3-31-97) in order to
properly back up
                       the NDS schema.  This fix is included in the zip file you
downloaded
                       for the ADSM NetWare client.  The problem does not exist
on NetWare
                       4.10.

       Also, if you do not normally run TCP/IP, verify that your ethernet
                       adapter drivers are up to date before installing and
running the
                       ADSM client.

As Always, patching and upgrading your file server for one application may cause
instability for other applications on the server, depending upon your particular
configuration.  Some older applications may not run properly on a server that
has been completely updated for new applications.  It is possible that some of
your applications and/or drivers will have to be upgraded in order to run
properly on the file server once it is configured for ADSM.  Be prepared to
either make the necessary updates/changes to other file server applications as
may be needed, or to back out of the upgrade procedures outlined above.

The ADSM client for NetWare has the following hardware requirements:
Disk space:  2 MB
Memory:  approximately 1 MB of RAM is needed for each 8,000 files per volume

The readme file
The readme file

ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager      Novell NetWare(tm) Client      README
Version 2, Release 1, Level 0.7 (IP21123)

March 18, 1997

NetWare 4.11 support - see section entitled "Known Problems" for a list of
known problems with NetWare 4.11

NetWare 3.11 support - see section entitled "Known Problems" for a list of
known problems with NetWare 3.11

Before You Install:

  Software & Hardware Requirements
  --------------------------------

  See ADSM Installing the Clients, version 2 (SH26-4049-00) for
  this information. **(p.113 for Novell requirements)**

  Novell NetWare Patches
  ----------------------

  Diskette #2 contains a group of patches which are generally
  available from Novell.  The patches are for NetWare NLMs which
  are associated with the execution of ADSM. See the "Limitations"
  section of this document for more information about NetWare fixes
  associated with the execution of ADSM.

  The patches are self-extracting .zip files which include information
  about installation.

  ADSM currently ships the following Novell NetWare patches:

    LIBUP9.EXE - CLIB Server Library Update
    STRTL5.EXE - STREAMS, TLI, SPXS, IPXS NLM Update
    TCP31A.EXE - TCPIP 2.75 Suite Update

  These patches are exact copies of the patches found on NetWire; IBM has
  not made changes to these files.  IBM recommends that ADSM users keep
  these packages current.

 NOTE: TSANDS, TSA311, TSA312, TSA410 and SMDR modules shipped as part
       of the ADSM client install have been extracted from the SMSUP5.EXE
       patch from Novell. It is recommended that the SMS modules be
       maintained at this level.  These modules can be applied by selecting
       the 'Install SMS Modules' option from the INSTDSM.NLM program.

  Limitations
  -----------

o This install package contains refreshed versions of the Novell SMS
  modules.  These modules will not load correctly if your CLIB.NLM
  is down level.

  - NetWare v3.1x users should have CLIB.NLM version 3.12g or higher
  - NetWare 4.x users should have CLIB.NLM version 4.01e or higher

  If the CLIB.NLM is not at a current level, you will see the following
  errors when loading SMDR.NLM on a 3.11 server.

  -  Loader cannot find public symbol: ThreadSwitchWithDelay
  -  Loader cannot find public symbol: ImportSymbol
       Load file referenced undefined public variable.
       Module SMDR.NLM NOT loaded

  ADSM is dependent on symbols exported by SMDR, and attempts to
  autoload it.

  The package name that updates the OS CLIB to the needed levels is LIBUP3.EXE.
  Please ensure that your system is running with the LIBUP3.EXE patches
  or later. For more information, see the "Novell NetWare Patches" section of
  this document.

o CD-ROM devices which are mounted by a program other than CDROM.NLM
  will be included in DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL.  If you wish to exclude the
  CD-ROM device(s) from backup in this case, you will need to explicitly
  code the DOMAIN statement in dsm.opt (eg. DOMAIN SYS:), excluding
  the CD-ROM device(s).  CD-ROM devices which are mounted by CDROM.NLM
  are not included in DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL.

  Known Problems
  --------------

o NetWare 4.11 notes:

     Do not install the SMS modules shipped with this PTF.  The modules
     SMDR.NLM, TSA410.NLM and TSANDS.NLM shipped with the 4.11 OS should
     be used.  Do not try to install SMS modules with the INSTDSM.NLM
     utility.

o NetWare 3.11 notes:

     NetWare 3.11 system may hang when performing a backup. This is a
     known problem with Novell NetWare, incident #1370955.  This has
     occurred after installing NetWare patch 311PTE.EXE thru
     311PTG.EXE (this was the most current patch available at the
     time of this writing).  Even though this problem has manifested
     itself with a backup, it is possible the problem can occur with
     an archive, restore or retrieve.

     Symptoms:  The last message you will see on the adsm console is.
       Connecting to NetWare File System (<server_name>)

     For support please contact Novell and reference incident #1370955.
     If you contact Novell you can pursue getting a test fix for this.
     Or remove the NetWare 311 patch if possible.

     (Documented in APAR IC14811)

o Selective backup of just a few files can take unexpectedly long
  if there are already thousands of files and hundreds of megabytes
  of data backed up for that client for that filespace, especially
  on UNIX clients with non-root users.

o Documented in APAR IC12130:

  >  Module did not release 1392 resources
  >  Module: ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager
  >  Resource: Small memory allocations

  Problem occurred while trying to perform a SELECTIVE or
  INCREMENTAL backup of the NDS (NetWare directory services)
  and an incorrect password/userid was given.

  The problem has been identified in Novell's NWSMTSConnectToTargetService()
  API. The problem has been reported to Novell and been assigned SPD # 115840.

  Novell indicates that this is a 'non-problem' since the OS does, in-fact,
  release the resources.  Novell will fix the message in a future OS patch.

  Also, the problem can occur when successfully performing a SELECTIVE
  or INCREMENTAL backup of the NDS if using TSANDS.NLM Version 2.01
  (June 16, 1995). This manifestation can be corrected by using TSANDS.NLM
  Version 4.10 (November 3, 1995) which is available as part of this PTF
  or via Novell (SMSUP4.EXE).

  This problem has been totally resolved by using TSANDS.NLM Version 4.12
  (April 26, 1996) which is available as part of this PTF or via Novell
  (SMSUP5.EXE).

  General Information
  -------------------

o We recommend you use the latest ADSM server maintenance level
  with this client, especially if you use the ADSM AIX server.
  There are several server APARs that have been fixed in the
  latest server maintenance that can appear to be client problems.

o ADSM ships special NLMs to stub out any communication that ADSM
  supports, but that is not currently running on the system. The stubs simply
  export the symbols that would be exported by the communication
  program. If a user starts a communication program that has been
  stubbed out by ADSM, the communication program will not load successfully.

  To start a communication program that has been already stubbed by
  ADSM, simply unload the appropriate stub NLM. This can happen quite
  innocently by loading ADSM before loading the communication NLM.

  Communication Method                           Stub
  TCP/IP..................................unload acpwtcps.nlm
  NetWare SAA V1.X........................unload acpsaas1.nlm
  NetWare SAA V2.X........................unload acpsaas2.nlm
  PWSCS...................................unload acpwsrvs.nlm