ADSM-L

adsm server external tape mount trap

1997-07-16 13:58:35
Subject: adsm server external tape mount trap
From: Steve Bennett <xtscsmb AT TSMAIL.STATE.AK DOT US>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 09:58:35 -0800
We have our adsm server running on aix v4 with clients running on several
other platforms. The daily schedule incremental backups from the clients to
the server are all working fine.

We do a backup of the adsm database every morning. At a specified time our
ops staff inserts a tape into the external tape drive and then when the
tape ejects they send it off site. This works fine because there is only
one scratch tape involved and it is always needed at a specific time.

We are now getting ready to do some scheduled offsite backups for other
databases and since ops does not monitor the server console we would like
to forward the adsm mount scratch message to our mvs console. We have
written a script to send a message from aix to the mvs console but haven't
figured out how to intercept the adsm mount message and cause the script to
run.

As far as I can tell the mount message does not go to the aix console log,
just to the adsm server activity log. The activity log appears to be in
some non-text format which makes it difficult to scan for mount messages.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to accomplish trapping the adsm
server mount message which could then invoke the script?

TIA

-- Steve Bennett  xtscsmb AT tsmail.state.ak DOT us   Juneau, Alaska