ADSM-L

Re: URGENT REQUEST - ADSM client support for Silicon Graphics IRIX??

1997-07-16 03:33:47
Subject: Re: URGENT REQUEST - ADSM client support for Silicon Graphics IRIX??
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 09:33:47 +0200
Hi Dianne,

I've never actually used the SGI ADSM code but I'm sure if it worked for
5.2,5.3 it should also work on 6.3,6.4 - unless something radical was
changed on the new version. You must keep in mind that IBM must test
the new levels of operating systems with ADSM to make sure there are
no problems - and only then can they say in public that they do support
it and it was tested.
As far as the 2Gig file limit is concerned - this is not a problem with just
SGI,
AIX, SUN, HP all suffer from the same problem.
The 2Gig limit is because the people who holds the patent rights to the unix
file system(Sun Microsystems) have to first remove the limitation before any
other vendor can do this.
One of my Unix friends said that his got the code for AIX now where the limit
has been removed (So maybe it is possible now).

Hope this helps

Regards
Christo Heuer
Johannesburg