ADSM-L

Re: Disaster-Recovery and DSMSERV RESTORE DB

1997-07-16 02:57:35
Subject: Re: Disaster-Recovery and DSMSERV RESTORE DB
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 08:57:35 +0200
Hi Julie,

You must have the volumehistory file available for a successfull DB restore.
When you issue the backup volhist command without any file name
specified you will append to the volume history file specified in the
dsmserv.opt
with the most current data.
The volhist file stores information about your tapes and most important
what tapes the last DB backup are stored on. So when you have to restore
your DB at the DR site all you have to do is coming up with the base server
and empty database and specify your volhist file in the dsmserv.opt, start
the server and say restore DB. The volhist will specify which tape was last
used for the DB backup and request a mount for this tape and there you
go - DB being restored!

As suggested you can still make a DFDSS copy of this file if you wish
to.

Regards

Christo Heuer
Johannesburg