ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Server no connect to IBM3494

1997-07-12 13:08:36
Subject: Re: ADSM Server no connect to IBM3494
From: Mitch Sukalski <syw AT ECMWF DOT INT>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 18:08:36 +0100
On Jul 11, 11:57am, Craig Bell wrote:
> Subject: ADSM Server no connect to IBM3494
> You are probably going to need to get service involved with this one, to get
> tracing and so on, but there one thing that is a known problem I can tell you
> about that has similar symptoms. I have seen two cases recently where the
3494
> Library Manager 's volume inventory database has broke, so that when ADSM
> queries it the LM keeps sending the same set of volumes over and over
> endlessly.  This is where the hang is, and ADSM will need to have something
> put in to detect it.
>
> To see if this is it, use the command:
>   mtlib -l/dev/lmcp0 -qI
>
> (lmcp0 could be lmcp1 or whatever.)  This command will give you a list of all
> the volume names and their category.  If it loops endlessly, that is it.
> Sevice will need your LM transaction logs and you may have to rebuild your LM
> inventory.
>
> Craig Bell
>-- End of excerpt from Craig Bell

We've had this happen to us, and I would add one thing to Craig's
comments.  In our case, the general inventory was reported correctly by
our 3494; in other words, "mtlib -qI -l <library>" worked fine. If we
queried a specific category of volumes (our private category) via
"mtlib -s <category> -qC -l <library>", the 3494 never finished
responding and continued to loop over the same set of volumes.  It
appeared that just one of the relational database tables was actually
damaged.  A complete reinventory of the 3494 fixed everything for us.

Mitch Sukalski

--
Operations department, DHS project
Operations department, DHS project