ADSM-L

Re: Netware restore performance

1997-07-11 13:43:10
Subject: Re: Netware restore performance
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 13:43:10 -0400
Hi Matthias,

I don't think that SLOWINCREMENTAL will make any difference on the restore, as
this option is for backup. When SLOWINCREMENTAL YES is in effect, ADSM uses a
different algorithm for processing backups that is less memory-intensive. For
restores, though, it doesn't have any effect.

I don't know why you are seeing the same tapes mounted many times. ADSM sorts
the list of files that will be restored such that each tape is mounted once and
read from front to back. However, if you are running multiple, concurrent
DSMC.NLM processes, then each process might call for the same tape as another
process (and thus might have to wait until another process finishes using that
tape). Also, to avoid having to restore the directories first, then the data,
ADSM builds a "skeleton" directory structure first. This way, files in a
directory can be restored without having to first restore the directory (the
directory will be restored as it is encountered on the tape). Otherwise
multiple passes on the tapes would be required to restore the directories first
, then the files. The skeleton directory structure prevents this scenario.

Some things that might help restore performance (maybe you are already doing
these):

1) Unless you are in a network-constrained environment, do not use client
compression, as decompression can definitely slow things down.

2) If you have a routed network environment, do you have this line in
SYS:ETC\TCPIP.CFG:

    TcpMSSinternetlimit OFF

(note that this is case sensitive, and should be entered as I've shown.)

3) Use TXNBYTELIMIT 25600 in the DSM.OPT file, and TXNGROUPMAX 256 in the ADSM
server options data set.

4) Set up a separate disk pool that does not migrate to tape, and use DIRMC to
send directory backups to it. Remember to set up the directory management class
such that it has the longest retention attributes of your other managment
classes.

5) If you want to be able to do parallel restores, it's best to plan ahead by
breaking them down by directory, and backing up each directory (and
subdirectories) to different storage pools. For example, suppose I have a
volume with three directories in the root:

DATA:MYDIR1
DATA:MYDIR2
DATA:MYDIR3

I could set up three management classes that each point to a different storage
pool, then use INCLUDE statements to back them up to the desired management
class:

INCLUDE DATA:MYDIR1\...\* MG1
INCLUDE DATA:MYDIR2\...\* MG2
INCLUDE DATA:MYDIR3\...\* MG3

Then if I have to do a restore, I can do:

LOAD DSMC RESTORE -SUBDIR=YES DATA:MYDIR1\*
LOAD DSMC RESTORE -SUBDIR=YES DATA;MYDIR2\*
LOAD DSMC RESTORE -SUBDIR=YES DATA:MYDIR3\*

Since the data in each directory is in a separate storage pool, I know that one
restore won't wait on a tape being used by another restore. And the directories
will be restored from the disk pool I set up for them.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support
---------------------- Forwarded by Andrew Raibeck/San Jose/IBM on 07/11/97

        ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU