ADSM-L

Remote Netware client?

2015-10-04 18:06:44
Subject: Remote Netware client?
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 7/11/97 12:38PM
The only way I know of giving them restore authority to NetWare drives is to
let them back them up.  I assume that you are talking about letting them
restore ONLY their own files.  If you have given each user a "personal"
directory on the netware server, then you could add the appropriate
include/exclude statements to their own DSM.OPT files, and then they have
backups of the server.

This is not an "elegant" solution - lots of specific information required in
the DSM.OPT file.  It could be simple, though, if the person can map to a
specific drive (let's say the "K" drive, and the only mapping this provides
is to the beginning of the user's own files - no access via K to anyone
else's files, or to system data, etc.  Then you could control the access by
using a domain statement that said "Domain K: all-local".

Remember that performance when accessing a NetWare drive through another
client is not pretty.  For ADSM to access the file, Netware does the
conversion to the appropriate format (probably FAT for a DOS based client),
then the client takes it and sends it to the ADSM server.  This means double
network I/O, plus the overhead for the conversion.  If the data is stored as
compressed, then it must be uncompressed, and then possibly compressed again
by ADSM.....

I do have a couple of customers who do this, but they were "special cases" who
needed the ability to gain access to backups quickly, and more importantly, the
volume was small.

Hope this helps.  There is no way I know of to allow direct restores of NetWare
data by clients other than the netware administrator.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    7/11/97 12:38 PM

Is there already or in the works a "remote" netware client that allows one to
backup/restore files using a third pc?  For instance, you run this thing,
connect to an adsm server, map drives to the netware server etc and then
do your restore/backup work?

Reason I ask is because of the unstability of the NLMs.  I understand this is
just the nature of NLMs.  Also, we will be wanting administrative users to
use windows 95 to restore/retrieve files, and we do not want them accessing
the console.

Just a thought.  Thanks.