ADSM-L

Backup Status Reporting

2015-10-04 18:06:44
Subject: Backup Status Reporting
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 7/8/97 12:18PM
One other alternative would be to use the Query Event command to see if the
schedule was executed successfully.  This is still suspect to the problems
mentioned above, but if the intent is to only see if someone Missed or failed
their scheduled backup, then this might be all you need.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    7/8/97 12:18 PM

     We have installed ADSM V2.1.9 on an MVS server, and back up about 20
     Netware, NT, UNIX, and OS/2 clients nightly.  Currently, every
     morning, I look at the "Days Since Last Backup Completion" field of
     the File Spaces section of the Admin GUI to determine the completion
     status of last night's backups.  I know that logging information is
     also available as ASCII text on the file systems of each of the
     individual clients, which would also tell me if the previous night's
     backups completed successfully.

     Is there any simple way to automate backup status reporting for
     individual clients?  I know that I could write a combination of batch
     files and scripts that would extract the relevant data and write it to
     one file somewhere, but that would still require someone to actually
     remember to look at the file or read an e-mail.  Is there a way to see
     successful (or the rare unsuccessful) completion information at the
     MVS console?  If there was, Data Center Operations staff could inform
     ADSM administrators if and when there was a problem.  The same
     personnel, at any given time, would know which backups were running,
     or had completed, without having to enter an admin session.  From
     looking at the documentation, it looks like I can see client start and
     finish information, but not whether the backup was successful.

     Has anyone else had to deal with this issue?