ADSM-L

[no subject]

1997-07-06 21:44:00
From: ADSM-L(a)VM.MARIST.EDU; SPENDEE(a)THIOKOL.COM
To: ADSM-L(a)VM.MARIST.EDU
Date: Monday, July 07, 1997 1:44PM
>>> David Wilshire <DWILSHIR AT LENSCRAFTERS DOT COM> 07/07/97 11:38am >>>
Hi, gang!

I have two database backup rotations:  onsite (DB0000-DB0010)
and offsite (DB1000-DB1010).  Onsite backups are done daily
and Offsite are done weekly.  All backups are full backups.

The problem is that I need to reuse my onsite backup tapes
before I'm ready to reuse my offsite backup tapes.  If I delete the
volhist to reuse my dailies, then the records of my offsite backups
go away.

Is there a way to delete the volhist for my onsite backup volumes
after 10 days and delte the volhist for my offsite backups after 60
days?

Or is there another way I should be doing this that I haven't
thought of?

Thanks in advance.

David Wilshire, Systems Administrator
LensCrafters, Inc.
dwilshir AT lenscrafters DOT com
"Knowledge Is Support"

David,

I saved the following response from a previous thread on this list. The
full thread is undoubtly
available in the ADSM-L archives. Jerry presents a good summary of
"another way" of doing
things.  I think that some serious thought should go into the  "daily -
weekly" style of backup.  If
you can convert your/user/management paradigm to the "ADSM way"  the
problems you asked
about will go away  (to be replaced by others no doubt).

Ted Spendlove
Thiokol Corp.