ADSM-L

4mm tape -Reply

1997-07-07 10:28:46
Subject: 4mm tape -Reply
From: David Wilshire <DWILSHIR AT LENSCRAFTERS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 10:28:46 -0400
I'll take a stab at it without knowing much about your environment.

We have this problem on an RS/6000 ADSM server with an
internal 4mm tape drive (Sony SDT-5000).  I use this tape drive
only for MKSYSB  and ADSM Database backups.

The problem is that when the system is installed, the 4mm tape
drive is defined as "rmt0", and when ADSM defines the tape drive
for its own use, it defines "mt0".  There is contention for the
device numbers.  You can't have both in an "Available" status.

When I do a "mksysb" backup to the 4mm tape drive, I make the
"mt0" device "Defined" using "rmdev -l mt0" and make "rmt0"
"Available" using "mkdev -l rmt0"; then I run mksysb.   When I do
an ADSM backup to "mt0", I make the "rmt0" device "Defined"
using "rmdev -l rmt0" and make the "mt0" device "Available" using
"mkdev -l mt0"; then I do the "backup db" command.

It's klunky, but it works.

Hope this helps.

David Wilshire, Systems Administrator
LensCrafters, Inc.
dwilshir AT lenscrafters DOT com
"Knowledge Is Support"

>>> ESTUARDO PERDOMO <eperdomo AT GUATE DOT NET>
07/03/97 06:11pm >>>
Hi, I have problems with my ADSTAR /2 version 1.2......
My problem is that I can not use it with a 4mm Tape device; I can
use it
very well with an 8mm tape device without problem but I need to
use it with
the 4mm, is there any body who experience that problem before
or can give
me any tip of where can I find more information about this Should
I need to
buy other version from ADSM or get a special patch to use 4mm
devices ?
I really appreciate if help me on this, Thanks....