ADSM-L

AW: Win NT disaster recovery

1997-07-07 04:17:18
Subject: AW: Win NT disaster recovery
From: "Bartl, Michael" <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 09:17:18 +0100
Dan,
I think, that it is not necessary to install an interim NT version on an
additional partition. Just install any NT with any options on the
primary boot partition (C:).
When restoring all files over the interim install, all options are
overwritten, the registry-restore replaces the old one as soon as you
reboot the system.
Note that it is not necessary to install the same service-pack level, as
the kernel gets replaced, too.

The procedure is for disaster recovery, but not intended for a change in
hardware. By recovering the registry, you bring back the complete system
configuration that is definitly hardware-dependent. So get sure that you
recover on the SAME or IDENTICAL machine when recovering the full
registry.

Another comment to Julie's recovery method:
By restoring to a FAT partition all of the files' security information
gets lost. It's much better to restore to a NTFS partition.

Regards
Michael
--
Michael H. Bartl, ADAC e.V. (IDL/PPO)