ADSM-L

NT disaster recovery

1997-07-04 14:54:35
Subject: NT disaster recovery
From: Julie Phinney <julphinn AT EMPHESYS.E-MAIL DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 14:54:35 EDT
Hi all -
THANKS for all the suggestions on restoring NT to unlike hardware.
After 16 fruitless (well, seemed fruitless anyway) hours yesterday, it
came together in 1 hour today.  Here's what I had to do:
1. Format the C: partition FAT and leave it empty
2. Install the D: partition FAT and install NT and ADSM on it.
   I used the same machine name and domain name as the original machine
3. Do a DSMC RES {SYS}\* -SU=YES -REP=ALL
    SYS is the drive label of the C: drive on both the original machine
    and the new machine
4. Do an ATTRIB BOOT.INI -S -H on both C:,D: and copy D:\BOOT.INI C:\
5. Copy D:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\HAL.DLL C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32
   (This fixed an error about invalid HAL.DLL on bootup after restore)
6. Copy C:\ADSM.SYS\REGISTRY\id\MACHINE\*.* C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG
   Copy C:\ADSM.SYS\REGISTRY\id\USERS\*.* C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG
     where id is the machine name of the source machine.  This skips a
     subdir under USERS called SYSTEM.  It has 2 files, SYSTE000 and
     SYSTE000.KEY that I didn't copy over, and don't know what they are
7. Delete C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
8. Boot to DOS and copy D:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM to C:\same
9. Boot up the new C: partition.
That's it.  It seems to boot up fine now.  I don't know if it has full
functionality of the original.  I'll ask someone to help test when the
holiday is over.  If I run into any changes to the above plan, I'll
let you all know.
I guess I would summarize the above plan as
1. Create 2 partitions, install NT on 1 of them, format them FAT.
2. Restore to the blank one.
3. Copy the restored registry that sits in ADSM.SYS to the proper
   location.  Then delete the SYSTEM hive and copy it from your other
   partition.  Copy HAL.DLL and BOOT.INI from your other partition as
   well.
My 2 machines are significantly different, one being an HP Netserver
with RAID and the target being an HP Vectra, no raid or special
devices.
Thanks again.
Julie Phinney
JULPHINN @ EMPHESYS.E-MAIL.COM