ADSM-L

HSM-fairy-tail

1997-07-01 13:29:08
Subject: HSM-fairy-tail
From: Henk ten Have <hthta AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 19:29:08 +0200
Sorry folks, as opposed to this subject, this is NOT a fairy-tail:

(just for all of you using HSM, I bump into the next situation)

1. I have the same primary storage destination for backup/archive and for
   migration (tape-pool).
2. File X is migrated to Tape A. Five minuts after the file is migrated,
   the file is modified by a CHOWN. Five minuts later the backup-client
   starts to backup on the same Tape A (Tape A was not yet dismounted).
3. Then the backup-client want's to backup file X and end-up with the
   message:
   Normal File--> 420,290,564 ./X ANS9283K Attempting to access remote file.

   And the recall-session says:
   Waiting for access to input volume A (.... seconds)

   And if your Mount Wait Period is one hour, you lost your drive for one
   hour.

   Maybe it isn't a good idea to have the same (tape) storage destination
   for backup/archive and for migration, but how big is the chance to
   run in the above situation?

   Well, dead certain in my case, the smaller the chance for a situation,
   the bigger the chance it will happen ;-)

   And yes RichardS, HSM is "fun", isn't it?

Cheers,
Henk ten Have