ADSM-L

checkin libvolume problems with 7332

1997-06-28 17:12:30
Subject: checkin libvolume problems with 7332
From: Rudinei Kalil <rkalil1 AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 14:12:30 -0700
Hello,
I'm configuring the following environment:
9076 SP with 3 wide nodes(node 1, 3 and 5)
7332 - 4mm Tape autochanger connected to node 3(ADSM Server)
7024 E30 working as Control Workstation
All machine are running AIX 4.1.5
ADSM Server 2.1.5.12
ADSM Client 2.1.0.6

I have registered the tape drive and the library as ADSM Devices:
mt0  scsi address 6,0  N/A(description)
lb0  scsi address 6,1  N/A(description)
I have already configured this tape environment as follows:
    define library robotmount libtype=scsi device=/dev/lb0
    define drive robotmount drive_1 device=/dev/mt0
    define devclass tape4mm devtype=4mm library=robotmount
    define stgpool tapepool tape4mm maxscratch=100
Then I labeled all 4 tapes located in 7332 as vol01,02,03 and vol04:
    dsmlabel -drive=/dev/mt0 -library=/dev/lb0 -overwrite -search

In the next step, checkin command step, I saw a lot of errors:
  1)  checkin libvolume robotmount vol01 status=scratch
            THIS FIRST PART WORKED OK
  2)  checkin libvolume robotmount vol02 status=scratch
            AT THIS TIME I RECEIVED THE FOLLOWING ERRORS:
            ANR1434W library ROBOTMOUNT is full
            ANR8426E ...

I can't understand why this problems occurs.  I started backing up data
to TAPEPOOL, and I just see VOL01 libvolume when I issue 'q libvol'.
I did checkin command with all 4 tapes in the autochanger.

The questions are:
A)  Am I doing the right procedures to register this volumes??  If yes,
can someone tell me why does it occur??
B)  VOL01 is growing fast because of backups, and it will be full one
time.  Will VOL02 be created at this time??? I don't have idea if my
other volumes are able to store data... I labeled then without problem,
but checkin command didn't work fine.
C)  I never configured an ADSM environment with this tape unit, and I
think that I have to label the tapes and then do the checkin as I need
ok?  Or its better to do this procedures(label and checkin) before,
'labeling and checking in' all tapes at the configuration time??
D)  Or this tape unit can store data only to this 4 tapes??  Is this a
limitation of this tape unit working with ADSM??

I will be happy with any kind of help...
Thanks,
                                              Rudinei Kalil