ADSM-L

Disaster recovery

1997-06-26 23:35:52
Subject: Disaster recovery
From: Julie Phinney <julphinn AT EMPHESYS.E-MAIL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 23:35:52 EDT
I'm still working on the disaster recovery process for restoring Win NT
and NetWare and OS/2 to different hardware.  Thanks to all of you who
offered Win NT advice.  I haven't completed testing it yet, but it
looks like what I have to do is:
1. Install NT and ADSM to a FAT primary partition
2. Issue the ADSM registry restore command for all hives but the SYSTEM
   one to a temporary directory
3. Boot to DOS and copy over the contents of the temporary directory to
   %SystemRoot%\system32\config directory  (whatever that is)
4. Reboot the computer
5. Convert the partition to NTFS with the convert command.
6. Issue DSMC RES C:\* -SU=YES -REP=NO  and repeat the command for
   every drive.
So I guess we'll see if it works. (Any thoughts, I'm open)
But now my question is... on OS/2, if I reinstall the operating system
(since the hardware will be different and my bootable diskettes won't
work)  then my config.sys is vanilla.  I would then install ADSM.
But I couldn't at that point restore the remaining software because it
all updates the config.sys, which would vanilla and untouched by the
ADSM restore.   What are people doing about that?  Restoring just the
data and reinstalling all the apps?
Perhaps restoring all the apps, and manually updating config.sys
according to the backed up one?  But then wouldn't you have the same
problem with win.ini files being vanilla and outa whack?  What are
people doing?
Thanks for all your help!
Julie Phinney
JULPHINN @ EMPHESYS.E-MAIL.COM