ADSM-L

Error: Physical end of media encountered

1997-06-26 19:44:28
Subject: Error: Physical end of media encountered
From: Mike Knight <knightm AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 19:44:28 EDT
From: Mike Knight, IBM GS Central, (314)234-5096, KNIGHTM at ISSCVM
Inet:                                             KNIGHTM AT VNET.IBM DOT COM

At Thu, 26 Jun 1997 22:23:19 GMT, Joerg Passenberg asked:

>with an EXB-10e Tape-Library under AIX 4.14
>i get the following Error for every Tape if i try to move Data from an
>external Scratch-Tape to the Library.
>
>06/26/97 21:32:55 ANR8302E I/O error on drive LIDODRV (/dev/mt0) (OP=READ,
>                   CC=400, KEY=43, ASC=3B, ASCQ=02, Description=Physical end
>                   of media encountered).  Refer to Appendix B in the
>                   'Messages' manual for recommended action.

Are you at patch level 12 of the ADSM server?  There are a couple of
fixes for End Of Tape processing on 8mm and QIC.  We are waiting on
patch 13 for other fixes, so we haven't tried it yet.

Have you tried checking the tape with "dd" to verify there is data on the
tape?  We have problems with ADSM not being able to read labels on 8mm tapes
that have been working just fine.  Other drives can sometimes read the data.

      Mike (Not ADSM Support, just a user) Knight