ADSM-L

Re: Deleting files from backups.

1997-06-26 06:21:43
Subject: Re: Deleting files from backups.
From: Todd Schneeberger <trs AT BINC DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 05:21:43 -0500
Yes, I want the ability to delete files from a client, once backed up.  But,
I would also like the ability to go into the database and remove previously
backedup data that has not expired, but that I want to expire it or
completely remove it.  ie.. I constantly create documents that are critical
and I backup while they are being created, but once done I would like to
delete them not only from my pc, but from the database and storage pools
etc...  I don't want to have create a special policy for this transient data
with a short life time.  Any ideas?
Thanks,

At 07:27 AM 6/25/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Todd,
>
>  You might look at the parm on archives to delete files after the archive
>completes.
>
>  Does anyone know if it is possible to define a copygroup or devclass that
>will prevent a
>  file from being stored at all?  (This seems like a perverse ability, but
>it may come in   handy)
>
>I am assuming that you are asking if it is possible to delete the files
>from the client once a backup is completed.
>
>Good Luck,
>  Dan T.
>

>----------
>> From: Todd Schneeberger <trs AT BINC DOT NET>
>> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>> Subject: Deleting files from backups.
>> Date: Friday, June 20, 1997 7:44 AM
>>
>>         Is it possible to delete individual files once they are backed
>up,
>> but no longer necessary? ie..  I backup some "WIP" directories that have
>> important data in them, but after 6-8 months, I want to delete it
>completely.
>>         How can I do that? Delete Filespaces does not go down to the
>> invidual file level, does it?? Otherwise the only choice would be to
>create
>> policies for this special data, and then have it expire quickly, but this
>is
>> to difficult for what should be simple.
>>         Any ideas would be appreciated - thanks.
>> Regards,
>>
>> Todd Schneeberger <trs AT binc DOT net>
>> Berbee Information Networks Corp.
>> N14 W23833 Stoneridge Drive