ADSM-L

remote console support and wnt adsm servers

1997-06-25 19:34:54
Subject: remote console support and wnt adsm servers
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 19:34:54 EDT
We are learning a little about working with an adsm windows NT server.

One of the questions that have come up is what is the best way to automate the
console messages  for operator support.  Most of the  time there should  be no
operator support required, but once in a while there can be an exception.

For now  we can  place an  adsm admin client  with the  console option  in the
operator area.  But we really do  not want to  add consoles that they  have to
eyeball every few minutes for possible work.

We would like to  have something that will in real time  scan the messages and
send the important  ones to a central console (most  likely another platform).
(With our vm adsm server we use the vm:operator product for this).

For example  a request to check  on a dlt tape  drive i/o error could  be send
over to an  hpux window, or an  vm:operator screen or a mvs  console. Then the
operator could go to the wnt box to handle the problem/request.

Before we reinvent  the wheel, Is someone else doing  something like this with
adsm servers. A perl script on AIX? A NT resource kit tool? Other?

Thanks len

Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
203 SAS Campus Drive
Cary NC 27513