ADSM-L

Re: Win NT recovery

1997-06-25 09:29:30
Subject: Re: Win NT recovery
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 08:29:30 -0500
>----------
>> From: Julie Phinney <julphinn AT EMPHESYS.E-MAIL DOT COM>
>> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>> Subject: Win NT recovery
>> Date: Sunday, June 22, 1997 9:32 PM
>>
>> Help anyone with NT clients..
>> We are going to do an offsite disaster test in July where we assume
>> the replacement hardware will be different from existing hardware.
>> Therefore, the bootable recovery (actually it's just a repair partition
>> on removable media) described in the Bare Metal redbook won't work.
>> I'm trying to create disaster recov. instructions that basically do:
>> 1. Install NT from scratch.
>> 2. Install ADSM
>> 3. Use ADSM to restore the data.
>> I know very little about Win NT, and I don't understand the registry,
>> but it seems to me you'd want some of that back.  Now if I understand
>> correctly, we can't just restore it, because the target hardware is
>> different.  But does that mean we can't restore any of it?  It's
>> divided into pieces, right?  According to my ADSM doc, we can restore
>> these hives: SAM SECURITY SOFTWARE SYSTEM
>> So what are you all doing in the event of this kind of disaster.. where
>> you have different replacement hardware.. Just dont restore the
>> registry at all?  In addition to some kind (what kind?) of REGREST  do
>> you do a
>> DSMC RES C:\* -su=yes -rep=no ???   Or just skip the C: drive?
>> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
>> TIA
>> Julie Phinney
>> JULPHINN @ EMPHESYS.E-MAIL.COM

From the Microsoft knowledgebase -- this should help.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc.

PSS ID Number: Q139822
Article last modified on 04-04-1997
PSS database name: WINNT

3.5 3.51 4.0

WINDOWS

-
-

 - Microsoft Windows NT Workstation versions 3.5, 3.51, and 4.00
 - Microsoft Windows NT Server versions 3.5, 3.51, and 4.00
-
-
SUMMARY
SUMMARY
=======

This article explains how you can restore a tape backup from one
computer
to another computer with different hardware, and maintain user accounts
and
working environment. This procedure may be needed if there is no backup
domain controller or fault tolerance implementation on the network and
the
primary domain controller is down for some time.

A backup set is intended to be used as a disaster recovery utility to
maintain your system by backing it up and restoring it to the same, not
different computer. When you restore to a different computer you may
encounter problems, due to hardware differences between the two
computers.

This procedure is not recommended by Microsoft and therefore is not
supported. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding
the
performance, stability or reliability of this procedure.

MORE INFORMATION
================

NOTE: If you need to only change the primary hard disk and controller
while
maintaining user accounts and desktop settings, please see the following
article(s) in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

   ARTICLE-ID: Q112019
   TITLE     : Changing Primary Disk System After Installation

To restore a tape backup from one computer to another computer with
different hardware, and maintain user accounts and working environment:

1. From the original computer you need a tape backup of the registry and
   all other files you want to transfer.

2. Partition and drive information should be set up the same as the
   original computer. However, the primary partition should be a FAT
   partition and initially Windows NT should be installed onto a FAT
   partition (it can be converted later). Use the same computer name and
   domain name as the computer that is being replaced.

3. Create a directory off the root called CNFGTEST. From the backup set
   restore the Registry (%SystemRoot%\system32\config directory) to
   C:\CNFGTEST on the hard drive.

4. Delete SYSTEM.* and *.EVT files from C:\CNFGTEST.

   NOTE: These files must be deleted in order to remove hardware
specific
   information.

5. Boot to DOS and copy the remaining files from C:\CNFGTEST to the
current
   %SystemRoot%\system32\config directory.

   NOTE: You cannot replace SAM or Security hives while Windows NT is
   running.

6. Reboot the computer and make sure that everything is functioning in
   Windows NT. When you restart user accounts should be in place.

7. If you use TCP/IP with DHCP and/or WINS, you can restore the
   %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\DHCP and the %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\WINS
   directories. It may be necessary to reestablish the DHCP scope.

8. The %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\SPOOL and %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\REPL
   directories can now be restored. If you were using TCP/IP printing,
   printer queues will have to be re-created and IP addresses
reassigned.

9. Convert to NTFS if the original install was NTFS. To replace data
with
   permissions you must convert to NTFS. To convert the file system to
   NTFS, type the following from the MS-DOS Command Prompt:

      convert <drive letter> fs:ntfs"

   Next, restore the user data.

Additional query words: prodnt
Keywords            : kbenv kbhw kbusage ntfault nthowto
Version             : 3.5 3.51 4.0
Platform            : WINDOWS
Issue type          : kbtshoot
=====