ADSM-L

migrating ADSM from VM to AIX: machine 'costs'??

2015-10-04 18:07:24
Subject: migrating ADSM from VM to AIX: machine 'costs'??
From: Joseph A. Faracchio [SMTP:SPGJAF AT CMSA.BERKELEY DOT EDU]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
I'm back!   After a year of (un)doing MVS (phewtooie) :-)
I'm back in the "Academic" group here at UCB.   So I'm back to
the care & feeding of our ADSM-on-VM system.

Now that ADSM (and AIX) are on HESC and our VM is scheduled for =
decommissioning
by the end of 1998, we want to migrate our ADSM from VM over to an AIX =
box.

We'd like to start out with the equivalent of what we've got/using on =
VM,
but in a configuration that has lots of head-room for growth:

We use:
        1/3 of 2 9672-R42 processors,
        4 3490 tape cartridge drives,
        5 Gigs of staging disk and 10 Gigs of Database storage
        ? Gig for OS & support areas.

So we're thinking:

        R6K-SP with 2 processors,
        15 Gig of ? disk drives
        4 ? tape transports
              (capable of being put on a robot is a requirement)
        (and for extra credit:  what robot to use?)

So by machine costs I don't mean prices but some configuration =
guidelines
would be appreciated.
                        Comments ?

                         thanks .... joe.f.

P.S.  I would just *love* to hear of an answer like:
      "We're giving a presentation on that at SHARE"
       so that I can go to Atlanta this summer!  :-=3D)