ADSM-L

Annual summer message

1997-06-19 10:50:11
Subject: Annual summer message
From: Martha McConaghy <URMM AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 10:50:11 EDT
Well, its summer and people are going away on holiday, or to a conference,
so its time for my annual message from the list owner.  If you are going
to be away for an extended period of time (more than 2 or 3 days), please
take time to either signoff the list or set your subscription to nomail.
To do this is simple, send a note to LISTSERV AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU containing
either:

unsub adsm-l
    or
set adsm-l nomail

The first will remove you from the list, the other will stop the list e-mail
from being sent to you until you set your subscription back to mail.

The reasons for doing this are fairly obvious.  ADSM-L is a very busy list, ie.
there is a lot of e-mail traffic.  Most subscribers have limited mailbox
space, especially those on AOL or COMPUSERVE.  If you do not temporarily stop
the list e-mail while you are away, your mailbox will fill up.  This causes
a bounce message to be sent to me for every note that cannot be delivered.  We
have nearly 1000 subscribers on the list, so you can imagine that it adds
up very quickly.  When I come in one morning and find over 900 bounces from
ADSM-L, I get cranky and start deleting people from the list.  So its much
better for everyone if you will take the time to temporarily stop your
e-mail before leaving.

Also, related to this, do NOT run an automated e-mail program that sends back
a "I'm not here" message.  Many of these programs do not handle list mail
properly and end up sending messages to the list or directly to subscribers.
I will bounce such addresses from the list without warning.

If you were dropped from the list because of a full mailbox or some other
communication error, you are free to rejoin.  Just be aware that if the
problem reoccurs, I will probably drop you again.

Martha McConaghy - ADSM-L list owner