ADSM-L

Re: backup status after filesystem deletion

1997-06-19 10:06:51
Subject: Re: backup status after filesystem deletion
From: Chuck Tomlinson 793-0730 <chuckt AT AUSTIN.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 09:06:51 -0500
>ADSM does not know whether you've deleted the file system or simply dismounted
>it, so it does nothing to that file system's backup version.
>
>If you want to delete the entire filespace from ADSM storage, you can use the
>DELETE FILESPACE command.
>
>Andy Raibeck
>ADSM Level 2 Support

I have one other intresting thing about this "feature".  I have a user that
uses this action all the time.  He has an OS/2 box that when he is working on
a project he lables his disk the project name (i.e. d_proj123).  Then we he
finishes he runs one last incremental backup of the disk and then relables to
the next project.  This created different filespaces in ADSM (as it has been
said before).  Basically the data stay there forever or until his account
goes away.  If he ever needs the data back, he lable a disk the old name and
restore the data.  I guess you could say that he is using this feature to his
advantage.  My take is if it makes the user happy then fine, he is going to
get billed for the space.

Chuck T.