ADSM-L

Re: backup status after filesystem deletion

1997-06-18 12:03:12
Subject: Re: backup status after filesystem deletion
From: "Kent L. Johnson" <johnsk6 AT RPI DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 12:03:12 -0400
Wasn't there a discussion about this recently on this list?  My understanding
from that discussion was the following.

ADSM will not delete filesystems which disappear from nodes, as Andy Raibeck
has stated.

In practice however, on Unix systems the mount point for that filesystem
remains, and ADSM backs up the mount point as if it was the filesystem.  In
other words, all files in the filesystem are treated as if they were deleted.
 So they are marked as inactive, and the clock starts ticking for the
retention period.

So, in practice, ADSM will not save Unix filesystems indefinitely after
losing a disk, unless the mount point is removed.

Is this correct?

Kent

--
Kent Johnson                        Internet: johnsk6 AT rpi DOT edu
Kent Johnson                        Internet: johnsk6 AT rpi DOT edu