ADSM-L

SQLBacktrack/Sybase and expiration.

1997-06-16 10:04:54
Subject: SQLBacktrack/Sybase and expiration.
From: David Wilshire <DWILSHIR AT LENSCRAFTERS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 10:04:54 -0400
Here's a question for those of you that are using SQL Backtrack's
OBSI module and ADSM for doing backups...

When I originally switched our backups from 4mm tape to ADSM,
we started with level 0 backups daily, unlimited generations, to
our default management class (5 versions exists, 1 version
deleted, 365 days each).  Our thinking was that only 5 versions
would be retained on the ADSM server.

However, we are saw that nothing was being expired out, and our
storage pool occupancy continued to grow.

I called DataTools tech support, who recommended that I set up
a new management class for SQLBacktrack files.  The values
recommended were:  1 versions exists, 0 versions deleted, 0
days each.  Also, the include-exclude file now contains the
stanza, "include /FILESPACE_TAG:*/.../* MGMTCLASS".

I've run backups several times already, thinking that the backup
files would then be bound to the new management class and
that old versions would be deleted, but occupancy continues to
grow.

I have to backup my storage pools for offsite storage, but I've got
about 94GB in old backups I'd rather not save.  It's a waste of
tapes and a waste of time.

Has anyone run into this before?  Is there a safer way to delete
these old backups short of deleting the filespaces and starting
over?

David Wilshire, Systems Administrator
LensCrafters, Inc.
dwilshir AT lenscrafters DOT com