ADSM-L

Expiration Exasperation

2015-10-04 18:07:24
Subject: Expiration Exasperation
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 6/16/97 2:57AM
Inactive files are expired based on the date that they became inactive NOT
when they were created or first backed up.  Therefore, your files should be
available for a year from when the backup of the empty disk was run.

Beware, though, of the "only copy" parm in your management class.  This
directs ADSM on how many copies to keep in case a file is deteced to have
been deleted.  In many cases, this value is set to "1".  This would allow you
to restore back the previous backup image, but any older versions would now
be gone.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    6/16/97 2:57 AM

We recently had an incident where a disk failed and was replaced and a
backup run over the new empty filesystem. All the files were flagged
inactive. After much pain and suffering we managed to get things back
to where they were, but a concern came up for which I didn't have an
answer. If this happens do we have to worry about the files expiring?
Our expiry period is 1 year. Would the files be expired 1 year from
the point they were last backed up? Or 1 year after they were deleted
from disk? We have a lot of old files that are accessed frequently but
haven't been modified in a while.

Thanks,

-- Rick Hanebury from Sunny Saudi Arabia
   eacgrh AT expec DOT com
   eacgrh AT expec DOT com