ADSM-L

Re: Full backup whit client NT

1997-06-15 22:29:16
Subject: Re: Full backup whit client NT
From: dan thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 21:29:16 -0500
Santiago and other ADSM'ers,

  I have followed this particular discussion with much interest over the
last couple of weeks.   I apologize for having given advice that in
retrospect was so clearly wrong.  I thank those folks who corrected this
advice and preventing anyone from taking my statements as correct.

I have nothing to add further except in response to an observation by
Richard Sims that AIX supports what he refers to as "..  files to have
different identities as Backup is run to a different management class".  He
goes on to explain that by using different mount points in the AIX world
this can be accomplished.  A rather ugly way to accomplish this in NT is to
have two different representations of existing filespaces.  The filespaces
could then be renamed temporarily for a specialized incremental.  I would
have to play around with such a to find out if the overhead of this type of
process is prohibitive.  Please do not take this idea as anything more than
proposing a concept to generate responses from the forum.  Depending on the
type of solution.

I hope that the various responses to this discussion have given you what
you need.  The depth and width of this discussion may have prevented you
from getting a simple answer to a simple question.  If this has occurred,
please repost your question along more info concerning what exactly you are
trying to accomplish for your user community.

Once again, allow me to express my hopes that my giving you incorrect
advice did not cause you any difficulty.

Daniel Thompson
Storage/Automation Management - USAA
thompsod AT usaa DOT com