ADSM-L

Re: AS/400 -Reply

1997-06-14 13:29:06
Subject: Re: AS/400 -Reply
From: John Cirocco <JCirocco AT GW.CTG DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 13:29:06 -0400
Kelly,

>>I believe you are in the classic catch 22.  In order to evaluate ADSM
>>properly, you need to understand it, but you don't want to understand
>>it until you decide to buy it.

Ain't that the truth!  As mentioned in another post, I am hoping the 2
redbooks will help with the eval situation.

>>You might consider bringing in a consultant to help you with the ADSM
>>piece of this.  ADSM is quite different from other products you might
>>evaluate.

That is the plan if Redbooks don't make it any clearer.  Problem with that
is dollars.  I was not planning on the purchase of ADSM for 1997
because I only learned of it 3 months ago.  I can spread the cost over 3
years and it doesn't hurt too much this year.  Consultants on the other
hand hit my budget directly (and probably cost as much as the software)
which I cannot afford for software I do not even know if I am going to
buy.

>>As a first crack at it, don't change the parameters.  I believe you
>>should be evaluating functionality as opposed to performance
>>anyway.  If the functions are there, the performance can probably be
>>made to be there.

I agree 100%.  It is the setup that has me stumped.  Docs do not give the
step by step for an uneducated user.  ie: First Init server, Setup Storage
pools, setup tape pools, start server, setup clients, etc, etc, etc.

>>If you would like to discuss the ins and outs of learning ADSM, contact
>>me off-line.

Thanks.  I am doing an AS/400 upgrade right now to my production
system to get it up to 3.7.  I will reload my ADSM to that system for eval
and start over.  When my upgrade here is settled and the fires go out, I
will email you directly.

Thanks again,
John