ADSM-L

Re: NT and 2.1.6 client problems continue

1997-06-13 08:32:47
Subject: Re: NT and 2.1.6 client problems continue
From: Gerald Schaefer <Gerald.Schaefer AT URZ.UNI-HEIDELBERG DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 14:32:47 +0200

> On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Joe Morris wrote:
>
> We just isolated a problem here as well.  We're running ADSM client
> (2.1.6) on WinNT40 workstation.  We just reinstalled the client a few
> days ago and ADSM was happy as a clam.  Today we reinstalled Transarc's
> AFS client for WinNT.  Whamo!  ADSM is out of commission.  Any attempts by
> the scheduler or other client binaries cause an immediate crash of that
> program--not the workstation.
>
> We'll experiment to try and narrow down the problem further.  Did try to
> limit the client to just the "c:" drive, but no change.  I have logged a
> call with ADSM Support on this problem.

I guess, if you reinstall the client again, ADSM will be happy again.
Then write down the contents of \winnt\system32 and all directories
that contain DLL's. Make copies of the DLL's on disk.
After reinstallation of Transarc's AFS client check if there are
modified DLL's.
If ADSM crashes again overwrite the modified DLL's by the older versions.
I don't know if AFS will work after that.

More and more I get the opinion that WIN NT is designed to happily
run the last installed application. But once in a time Bill will
rename the Unix Environment variable LOAD_LIBRARY_PATH to XXX_FLEX
and market it as a fantastic innovation.

Kind regards

    Gerald Schaefer

Dipl.-Inform. Gerald Schaefer   email: gerald.schaefer AT urz.uni-heidelberg
DOT de
Dipl.-Inform. Gerald Schaefer   email: gerald.schaefer AT urz.uni-heidelberg
DOT de
University Computing Center     WWW:   http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~x09/
Im Neuenheimer Feld 293         phone: +49 (6221) 54 5452
D 69120 Heidelberg              fax:   +49 (6221) 54 5581
I am a realistic optimist - that's why I appear to be slightly pessimistic
I am a realistic optimist - that's why I appear to be slightly pessimistic
Genealogy - The hobby where dead people can excite you