ADSM-L

Adsm Macintosh Client Backup Failures

1997-06-08 00:32:22
Subject: Adsm Macintosh Client Backup Failures
From: Dennis Schaffer <Dennis.Schaffer AT MUTUALOFOMAHA DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 22:32:22 -0600
I submitted a question to this forum about two months ago regarding hang
situations while attempting to backup a Macintosh client.  Since then,
we've tried lots of things and I've acquired some additional information
but the results haven't changed.

The problem is that these Macintosh clients will consistently back up for
30 minutes and then hang.  After the ADSM hang, other applications on the
Mac will continue to run until we try to quit ADSM or shutdown the Mac; at
that point, the entire Mac hangs.  An error log isn't created and the
schedule log shows no indication of a problem.  We've bumped the ADSM
memory on both Macs to 6M.

We were originally running System 7.5.3 Revision 2.2 and System 7.5.3
TCP/IP Version 1.1 but, upon recommendations from the forum, we upgraded to
System 7.5.5 and Open Transport TCP/IP 1.1.2.  It didn't help.  We've been
running the ADSM V2.1.0.6 client all along.  Their only TCP/IP application
is ADSM; otherwise, they use Appletalk.

We installed ADSM on some additional Macs within our company and isolated
the problem to one particular Macintosh model, the PowerMac 9500/200.  We
have three of these models and they all fail in the same way.  All the
other models we have (PM 7600/132, PM 8100/80 and Quadra 650) backup just
fine.

Another difference we've noticed is that the backup rate on the 9500s is
much slower (about 30Kb/s) compared to the other Macs (800-1000 Kb/s)

Our Macintosh support engineer learned from Apple about a problem with the
motherboard on this particular processor that affected network performance.
We thought that must be our problem but were very disappointed when we
replaced the board and it didn't seem to have any effect.  We've also tried
backing up using the 68000 and PowerPC versions of the ADSM client, to no
avail.

Do any of you have any experience with using ADSM to backup specifically a
PM 9500/200 or even any other PM 9500 models?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Dennis Schaffer
Mutual of Omaha