ADSM-L

Question on the MS Exchange backups using Seagate Backup exec

1997-06-07 14:48:32
Subject: Question on the MS Exchange backups using Seagate Backup exec
From: dan thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 13:48:32 -0500
ADSMites,

I recently sent a note asking about backup up MS Exchange data using the
Seagate Backup Exec product.  I was very pleased with the helpful replies
and based upon these related experiences USAA decided to test this
solution.

I just finished setting up the MVS ADSM server to support the use of this
product.  In addition to the obvious things of setting up a specific NODE,
Domain, Management Class etc. that Seagate expects to find, I also set up 2
disk storage pools as per the instructions.  As I understand the
instructions, 1 of these pools is simply a normal disk storage pool with no
surprises.  However, the second storage pool is actually used by the
Seagate product as a "database" where it stores information it uses to
restore data from the other storage pool.

This seems simple enough except I do not know how to provide
backup/recovery for this unique storage pool.  If I just copy it and one of
the MS Exchange boxes is being backed up, the copy of the storage pool is
probably useless.

Has anyone engineered a solution to this problem.  I find it somewhat
ironic that a product that is designed to allow online backups of another
product has no easy way to backup one of its own databases.

Daniel Thompson
Storage/Automation Management - USAA
thompsod AT usaa DOT com