ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Backup Directly to 3590 Tapes

1997-06-05 12:18:44
Subject: Re: ADSM Backup Directly to 3590 Tapes
From: ALLEN BARTH <abarth AT KEMPER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 11:18:44 -0500
     Hi Tom.

     As you didn't specify what size your primary ADSM disk pool size is,
     what you're seeing would make sense given the following scenario:

     Say your disk pool size is 200 meg, and the file being backed up is
     larger, and you haven't specified a maxsize parm (the default).  As
     the the file is being backed up, the data is going to your disk pool.
     Eventually the disk pool reaches HIghmig value.  When this happens the
     client goes into wait mode, while the server goes thru migration from
     disk to tape.  Let's ignore the time required to mount the tape,
     position, etc.  After the data is copied to tape, assuming the disk
     pool has reached LOwmig, the client is awakened to continue sending
     data.

     When going directly to tape, this stop/start issue is less likely.

     If the above is the case, you should notice a few subtle differnces:

     When going to diskpool 1st, the client begins move data as soon as the
     session is established.  Then wait, send, wait, etc.  until done.

     When going to tape directly, you will see a delay after the session is
     established before data begins to flow.  Chaulk these delays up to
     mounting and positioning the tape.

     The advantage of going to disk is concurrency.  More clients can be
     sending data to ADSM than there are tape drives.  Obviously they will
     all go thru the send/wait cycle, but your overall thruput (how much
     client data is backed up vs wall time) will be greater.  This takes
     some tuning and DISK SPACE to make it fly.

     Hope this helps.

     Al