ADSM-L

Re: Setting up ADSM (fairly new install)

1997-06-05 03:36:43
Subject: Re: Setting up ADSM (fairly new install)
From: Kirsten Gloeer <Kirsten.Gloeer AT RZ.UNI-KARLSRUHE DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 09:36:43 +0200
According to Gary Luther:
> ENVIRONMENT:
> RS/6000  R30, 24GB disk, 3490-e11, ADSM
>
> We are currently doing a nightly incremental. We have been able to
> recover files in the past but I am now on tape 11 and think there has
> to be a better way to run this ship.
>
> I want to be able to have a set of tapes to take offsite for disaster
> recovery. I have been reading several ADSM things on DR. Not all of
> what I read makes sense and so I must assume that I am missing some
> key concept that would clarify this picture.
>
> Here's what I want to do:
> 1) Run  unattended backups (incremental) ** currently doing this
> 2) Keep my tape volumes from growing to infinity ** not currently a
> problem but will eventually be as this machine aquires more
> applications.
> 3) Create an offsite tape or tapes that, at least for now would be
> done weekly.
>
> I have read in the ADSM Admin Guide on page 272-273 a reference to a
> Full Storage Pool Backup. The example states, I think, what I want to
> be able to do. I can't seem to get into my head how to make this work
> with my situation.
>
> I only have one client, the RS/6000. I have defined 1 Policy Domain
> (ADSM_MHESAC), with 1 Policy Set named AIXBKPOLICY, with 1 Management
> Class  named ACTIVEFILES, no archive group, 1 backup group, and one
> tape pool. The files are backed up (currently incremental) via the
> scheduler directly to the tape pool which is my primary pool.
>
> With one tape drive currently ( we may be getting a 3570 with two
> drives, I hope, I hope) I don't really understand how to do what they
> are talking about on page 272-273.

You can backup your primarytapepool to a recoverytapepool_1 with the
following command

        backup stgpool primarytapepool recoverytapepool_1

If you want to do the same as in the example on page
272-273 in the ADSM Admin Guide you can proceed as follows:

1st week:
   every day
        backup stgpool primarytapepool recoverytapepool_1

                -1st day a full backup is performed
                -further days only incrementell backups are performed
2nd week:
   every day
        backup stgpool primarytapepool recoverytapepool_2
3rd week
   every day
        backup stgpool primarytapepool recoverytapepool_3
4th week:
   every day
        backup stgpool primarytapepool recoverytapepool_4
5th week:
   1st day
        delete all volumes in the pool recoverytapepool_1
   every day
        backup stgpool primarytapepool recoverytapepool_1

                -1st day a full backup is performed because the
                         storage pool recoverytapepool_1 is a new
                         storage pool
                -further days only incrementell backups are performed

On page 273 in the ADSM Admin Guide you can see the disadvantages
of this example.
.... .. .

Have a nice day, Kirsten.