ADSM-L

Re: When to split a server?

1997-06-04 00:11:15
Subject: Re: When to split a server?
From: Laurie De Mamiel <Laurie.L.R.DeMamiel AT WOODSIDE.COM DOT AU>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 12:11:15 +0800
We have a 9672-r31 running MVS and ADSM 2.1. We found that with running
2 ADSM servers they will each run on one cpu and tcp/ip will run on the
third. This gives us far better performance as each ADSM server uses
almost all of the cpu that it runs on (depending upon workload). If we
had only one server we would not be able to provide the backup service
we do as the one server would have a constant cpu bottleneck. The other
advantage we gain from this is that we don't have any increase in
software costs. If we go to a 4 cpu complex and start another ADSM
server our software costs will still not increase.  Other reasons for
starting another server, would include ADSM db size. I can't comment on
that as our DB's are very small ie less than 3gb and we haven't reached
the effective limit for db size. What ever that may be.

Regards
Laurie de Mamiel